Contributor: Connie Rose
It can be hard to get in control of your emotions. However, it is especially hard if you are dealing with anxiety. While it seems that getting rid of negative emotions is so easy, more and more people all over the world get diagnosed with anxiety disorders or depression. That is so because, at most times, emotions grab hold of us and cling on, and we can not get ourselves to think positively.
For some people it can be easier to manage negative emotions than for others – many factors impact the way we feel. And while in severe cases, professional help is necessary, there are several simple tips you can use to calm down when you’re feeling anxious.
In this article, we cover a few of them, including using natural remedies, setting a day schedule, meditating, and some more. Read on to discover how they can help you – and feel good right away.
1. Use Natural Remedies
There are several natural remedies that you can use to calm down. And while they can not cure you, they can definitely help reduce the severity of symptoms like anxiety. Here are a few of them:
- Go for a walk in nature – Studies have found that spending time in nature can be very beneficial – it can help lower blood pressure and improve your mood. Try going for a walk in the park or on a trail close by.
- Take a bath with Epsom salt – When you are anxious, try taking a hot bath with Epsom salt. This will help you relax and calm down.
- Drink chamomile tea – Chamomile tea is very good at reducing anxiety and promoting sleep – it contains natural sedatives.
- Take CBD – CBD (or cannabidiol) has been proved to reduce anxiety and calm you down. On the market, you can find many types of CBD products, such as bath bombs or roll-ons (like the ones that Cowtown CBD Corral offers), as well as CBD softgels, oils, and vapes – just choose something that suits you.
2. Set a Day Schedule
It may seem too boring and too restrictive, but scheduling your day can help you feel better. In fact, studies have found that people who have regular schedules tend to be happier than those who do not. As well as helping you feel calmer, having a schedule will also help you feel more accomplished for the day.
Start by writing down what you want your week to look like – get a notebook and just write down things that you would like to accomplish. Make sure that you include in your schedule things like sleeping, eating, working out, etc.
Next, divide your schedule into two sections – things that you must do and things that you would like to do. Don’t worry if you have too many things to do – they will take your mind off worrying. However, include a few fun activities and don’t overwork yourself.
Meditation is an ancient practice for calming oneself down, relaxing, improving your concentration and focus. It is also very useful when it comes to dealing with anxiety. In fact, meditation has been found to be as effective as anti-anxiety medications in treating anxiety disorders in some people. Here are some simple steps that you can try:
- Find a quiet spot where there are no distractions – turn off your phone and TV, and dim the lights.
- Sit comfortably on the floor or on a chair with your back straight up.
- Close your eyes and be aware of your breath – breathe in for 3 seconds, hold it for another 3 seconds, and breathe out for 3 seconds. Do this for 5 minutes.
- While doing so, think only about your breathing – let go of all other thoughts that come up.
4. Get Some Exercise
Exercise is one of the best ways to calm yourself down – while it will not cure you of anxiety or depression, it will definitely help manage symptoms like stress and panic attacks. Exercising helps boost endorphins which promote feelings of happiness and ease tension in your muscles. You can try any form of exercise that works for you – here are just some of them:
- Go for a jog outside
- Go for a walk.
- Exercise at home – do some push-ups or crunches; dance to music; lift weights; etc.
- Ride a bicycle.
- Play sports with friends.
Just move around.
5. Use Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years to treat various ailments and emotions, and they can be very effective in dealing with anxiety. Here are a few essential oils that can help:
Dealing with anxiety can be tricky, but you can do it when you set your mind to it. Use the tips that we’ve talked about – and make sure that you stick to a schedule, exercise, focus on breathing, and try some essential oils. Remember that it may take time for your anxiety to go away – and that is okay.
However, it is important to note that while these tips can be very helpful in dealing with your anxiety, they will not work if you don’t do your best to treat your problems and don’t visit a professional if necessary. You must take your treatment seriously and stick to it – otherwise, your symptoms will not go away.