Reading Time: 6 minutes
Homemade Weed Fruit Roll-Ups
- 2.5-3 Grams Decarboxylated Kief
- 2 Cookie Sheets (Greased & With Depth)
- 2 Cups Rhubarb (Chopped)
- 2 Cups Pear (Red D’anjou, Chopped, Peel On)
- 1 ⅓ Cups Water
- 1 Pack of Kool-Aid (Strawberry)
- Large Stock Pan
- Handheld Blender
- Parchment Paper
- Ziploc Bags
- Kitchen Shears
They’re not quite gummies, but they aren’t hard candies, either. They find themselves in a weird, yet incredibly satisfying consistency limbo that the average person can’t help but fawn over. Here's How To Make Homemade Weed Fruit Roll-Ups And, before we get any further into this, let me be clear: I am not one of those people who use the term “fruit leather.”
To me, that’s an insult to the overall flavor (and quality) of the product itself. I’m sorry, but that’s just how I feel. When I hear the phrase “fruit leather,” it makes me think of a tattered, old wallet made out of old banana peels. Ugh. No, thank you. I’m a “Fruit Roll-Up” kid, and I always will be. But, regardless of what title you bestowed upon them, chances are you’ve come across these delectable treats (at least) once in your life. And I’m guessing you enjoyed them a great deal. I mean, seriously, who wouldn’t?! They deliver the best combination of flavors and consistency in the candy game. Plus, if they’re done right, they can pass as a healthy snack option, if you can believe that.Which, I understand, may sound a tad embellished. But I assure you, if the recipe contains fresh fruit, the consumer will enjoy all the nutritional benefits that that fruit would’ve provided in any other medium. And, when compared to its sugar-filled counterparts, there really is no debate, Fruit Roll-Ups are, by far, superior – in every way, shape, and form.I think it’s safe to say that we can all agree Fruit Roll-Ups are pretty much flawless, right. Well, even though I used to share that sentiment for my entire life, it was only recently that I realized there was one key element missing from these unreal treats. Cannabis. Yup. We’re about to whip up a personalized batch of Weed Fruit Roll-Ups that are not only going to bring you all the way back to your childhood, but they are going to catapult you into a realm of relaxing spaciness that you won’t ever want to get out of. Sound enticing? I knew it would! So, what are we waiting for? Let’s make some dank homemade weed fruit roll-ups! And the best part about this whole procedure is it’s a whole lot easier than you may think. But, before I unleash the list of ingredients for this recipe, we need to make some decarboxylated kief. Typically, I use cannabis-infused butters and/or oils in my recipes. And, when you think about it, that makes the most sense, as those non-medicated counterparts are used during the creation of most dishes. But, for a confection, like a Fruit Roll-Up, neither of those ingredients would help it reach its expected level of greatness. If anything, it would prevent it from doing so. So, that leaves the chef with a predicament.If those popular THC-enriched cooking aides can’t be used, how are you supposed to infuse these Fruit Roll-Ups at all?The answer lies in decarboxylated kief, my friends. While I’m sure you already know how to decarb cannabis flower, there’s a specific recipe for decarboxylated kief that’s just a bit different from its floral sibling. In order to properly decarb your kief, you’ll need to preheat your oven to a steady 245°F. Then, you’ll want to place your desired amount of kief into a tiny glass container. Make sure it's oven-safe, though. After that, you’ll want to grab some aluminum foil, and completely seal off the opening of the container. Following that, you’ll want to double-up that layer of aluminum foil on the top. This will serve as a much thicker, more reliable barrier. Take that glass container and carefully place it in that preheated oven of yours. And, if your bud is of moderate-to-high quality, you’ll want to leave it in there for 35-40 minutes. However, if you are going about this recipe with a predominantly CBD-heavy batch of kief, keep that sucker in the oven for 45-50 minutes.Once that time period has elapsed, remove the container from the oven and place it on the counter to cool. And when I say “cool,” I mean it. You don’t want to remove the cover until you can comfortably touch the foil without any fear of burning. This also allows the fumes and vapors from the freshly decarboxylated kief, to stay in those tight confines, and re-absorb into the concentrate. What you are left with is decarboxylated kief. In short, that means the THC in this concentrate is active, and ready to be combined with anything it comes in contact with. For this particular recipe, that’s going to be our Fruit Roll-Ups. After you’ve successfully decarbed your kief, you’ll want to make sure you have all of the following ingredients on this list, in order to complete this recipe for homemade weed fruit roll-ups.
When you have all of those ingredients accounted for, we can get started on our recipe.
- First, grab that large stockpot, and throw in your sugar, water, pears, and rhubarb. Put that pot on the stove, but make sure the heat is on “medium.” Anything higher would ruin the whole recipe, so be mindful of how hot things are getting.
- Then, you’ll want to let this sucker simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring the mixture around every now and then. You’ll know it’s time to move on when you notice the rhubarb start to soften.
- Now, you’ll want to get your hands on a handheld blender.
- Using that trusty kitchen device, expertly blend the contents until they resemble a swanky, enticing puree. At this point, you can add in your decarbed kief and Kool-Aid. Then, pick that handheld blender back up, and pulse that bad boy until everything is evenly distributed and mixed in perfectly.
- Take that mix, and pour it onto both of your previously-greased cookie sheets.
- Using any utensil you’d like, spread out the top of that concoction until everything is nice and smooth. When you’re happy with that, you can place your pans into the oven. But this time, make sure they are set to a temperature of 170°F.
- Using your most trusted wooden spoon, keep that oven door propped open a touch.
- This is a great way for the moisture to escape the tight confines of the oven. Which, at the end of the day, is the main thing we are trying to accomplish, in order for these weed fruit roll-ups to reach their desired consistency and toughness.
- When you’ve got all that in order, you can walk away for the next 6-12 hours.
- This time frame gives those contents the optimal amount of time dry and dehydrate. You’ll know you’re ready to proceed when you can easily peel up a corner of the fruit roll-ups, without any resistance.
- When that occurs, remove them from the oven, and allow them time to cool on the counter.
- Let this baby cool all the way down, before using a knife to cut around the edges of it.
- Then, place another sheet of parchment paper on top of that newly-cooled substance, and press down to remove any unwanted bubbles from the batch.
- When you’ve got that out of the way, peel up a corner of the Fruit Roll-Up, and the entire thing should release itself from the grips of the parchment paper.
- Now, you can place that big ol’ slab of Fruit Roll-Up on another sheet of parchment paper, and begin slicing out individual sections with kitchen shears. This unique device offers a more accurate cut, and at the end of the day, the final result looks a whole lot sharper.
- For storage, you can toss these babies into Ziploc bags. But let’s be honest, you’re likely going to devour the whole batch.
- And, to be frank, I can’t blame you.
- These things are delicious!